Ethnically-Targeted Human Destruction Again Accelerates in Darfur
Eric Reeves | April 6, 2018 | https://wp.me/p45rOG-2et
Khartoum’s Rapid Support Forces (RSF) are using present fighting with rebels (SLA/Abdel Wahid) to continue ethnically-targeted destruction of the Fur people in Jebel Marra. Villages are being destroyed, tens of thousands have been displaced (see Radio Dabanga dispatch below), and UNAMID—per usual—is helpless. Nor has there been any international condemnation, a fact well noted by the Khartoum regime, which also knows that UNAMID is utterly incapable of halting civilian destruction or assisting with humanitarian access.
This campaign is are not simply beating back against SLA/AW, but using assaults on civilians as a way of making civilians pay a price that will seem intolerable, even to the SLA. Such military tactics as have been in evidence for more than a week constitute war crimes, possibly crimes against humanity under the Rome Treaty that is the statutory basis for the International Criminal Court. The Court has served arrest warrants for crimes against humanity to several of the regime’s members (and a warrant charging President Omar al-Bashir with genocide).
The Darfur genocide began in the Jebel Marra region fifteen years ago; ethnically-targeted human destruction continues—in short, genocide is ongoing…the longest and most “successful” genocide in modern history, with 3 million Darfuris displaced from their homes and more than 500,000 dead from the direct and indirect effects of Khartoum-orchestrated violence.
Darfur: 50,000 civilians taking refuge in Jebel Marra caves | Radio Dabanga, April 5, 2018 | LIBEI
An estimated 50,000 people displaced by recent fighting between government troops and rebels in Darfur’s Jebel Marra, are reportedly taking refuge in mountain caves in the Libei area.
Voluntary work activists estimated the number of those fleeing their villages in the eastern areas of Jebel Marra after the government attacks at about 50,000. Activists told Radio Dabanga that these civilians have been displaced from the areas of Sawani, Terongafogi, Owru, and Rokona after the government attack and the battles with the Sudan Liberation Movement led by Abdelwahid (SLM-AW). Activists said the civilians in the caves are sleeping on stones with no water or food.
The association of displaced people and refugees said that the government attacks have led to the burning of 11 villages and displacement of their residents, confirming that the humanitarian organisations and UNAMID have not arrived to provide help. The spokesman of the association Hussein Abusharati called on them via Radio Dabanga to urgently rescue the civilians and provide them with food and medicine.
The devastation at Feina village which was burned in an attack earlier this week (Radio Dabanga)